4GUK

Honda Civic Forum - 4th Generation Civic Owners Club
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 1.4 GL Auto project
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Here are the pics from the other weekend, didn't manage to get over to do anything last weekend but am going to stick a days holiday in for next friday and have a solid 3 days on it. Have also got rear upper and lower braces and chris is donating his old front strut brace and rear arb from his crx, and have now got a D15b cam. A new clutch has been ordered as well as lower ball joints and new CV boots. Cant wait to get it all together, it will be a completetly different car with the auto box removed. Sorry for the crap pics they are from my phone.

Auto box removed!

Auto box out on the floor

Flywheel and old clutch on and torqued up, new clutch will be going on though.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:35 pm 
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

It lives, muuuhh-hahahahahahahahahahaha

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:12 pm 
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Fully working now bar the reverse light which will be sorted next weekend, ran out of time this weekend. Feels so much better as a manual, sounds obvious but it is like a completely different car, it has a soul now! Driving without the seats in to test the new gearbox was interesting (simply didnt have the patience to bolt the seats in before trying it out :lol: ), but the seats are back in now and its very nice indeed :D

Fueling is a tad rich so that will need to be fettled, may be due to the cut carb spring mod or simply needs adjusting.

Still lots to do, need a quieter backbox and to replace a cv boot for the MOT, then its time to start some chassis and engine tuning mixed in with some track day fun.... oh and we must sort out some previous attempts to get rid of arch/sill rust, its not that bad but has been hidden/covered over so needs attention ('orrid black bonnet/bumper to be sprayed in original colour too).

Also put on some nice enkeis with Toyo Proxies which used to be on my crx, some pics for now (it is on lowered springs but I think they need to settle another 10-20mm after many months on axle stands):

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:06 am 
4GUK Donator

Love this project.

I'll be looking at changing mine to manual next year and I'm not terribly looking forward to the task. :?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:29 am 
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

vibe85 wrote:
Love this project.
I'll be looking at changing mine to manual next year and I'm not terribly looking forward to the task. :?

Thanks, its not that difficult to be honest, its just a case of having all the right parts then its all bolt off and on, the trick is getting all the right parts collected, we got a couple of bum parts which didn't fit and a couple of things missing too. Drop Jon or myself a pm when you come to do it or are preparing for it and we can talk you through it in more detail :top:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:38 pm 
4GUK Donator

Good work so far :top:

what are your plans engine wise ?

1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:38 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

walsh123 wrote:
Good work so far :top:

what are your plans engine wise ?

Thanks mate, for now we have the D15b cam to go in and will get a set of trumpets for the throttle boddies and see how that goes for a while, then maybe some head work and get the carbs set up and see what is possible from the 1.4 lol after that possibly do an engine swap, we plan on having this for a long time to mess about with so just see how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:42 pm 
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Double post :oops: - ha no its wasnt, it was you Jon, you wrote just aboput exactly what I wrote, :lol: at least we are on the same page!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:34 pm 
4GUK Donator

Sounds good to me, although im not a fan of the trumpets mod. Good to hear your sticking with the D14 they are great little engines with some tweaking, also rev a crazy amount :lol: :drivegear: Anyone can do an engine swap where the fun in that :OD

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:32 pm 
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Well, we managed to get a new backbox, a one from a 1.6 16 crx in prep for the MOT. However, the previous owner whilst mentioning that the backbox was held on by a bungie chord as the hanger on the box was broken failed to mention that the hanger on the underside of the car was also broken :evil: :evil: so we still have a bungie hung backbox.

SO, with 1 silencer now in the system it is quieter BUT, it sounds terrible with your foot down, a real metallic raspy fart noise, so either the 'new' silencer in the backbox is kaput too, or this car needs another silence in the mid section :? are these 1.4's really that ferocious that a 2nd silencer will be required or have I bought a duff used backbox :?: :lol:

Anyway a pic, loads better than the hanging off jap can IMO :drivegear: !

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:07 pm 
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Due to one reason or another, this has been sitting for just about 3 years, doing diddly squat!

My cousin, Jon, and myself went halfs on it originally with the intention to turn it into a track car, we both got caught up in life, blah blah, anyway, I've moved house, have space for projects and bought his share from him, this one wont be going to car heaven just yet.

Now, my house is over an hour away from where its been sitting, but it had to be moved, I borrowed a friends trade plates, got a fully charged battery, pumped the tyres up, checked oil and water and turned the key....... :lol: It started first time and I drove it on the motorway for an hour to get to my new place, I didn't even have a back up support car, such is my faith in the little Honda!

I thought I'd relight this project as I'll be getting this ship shape and keeping it fully oem, and will probably use it as a daily for a while.

Anyway, updates coming soon... as she sits now, the 5lut sitting contemplating its almost abandoned future....

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:08 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

nice to see you've still got the civ after so long, its meant to be. looks good!!
time to get a z6 turbo in there maybe? and loving the 3LUT number plate!!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30233

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:15 pm 
4GUK Donator

Now thats a thread revival :shock: :lol:

think alot of us have had the same issue as you life has gotten in the way for most forum is pretty quiet now a days but keep us update with how you get along with it buddy

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:46 pm 
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Cheers, I thought it had gone a bit quiet around here :lol:

I'll be keeping it stock I think, apart from a D15b cam and a few chassis tweaks, the powerful stuff is in my slightly less practical crx.

I did kick the rear sills on this and they crumbled to bits, very poor previous filler/mesh repair without cutting/treating the rusty metal. So, new rear arches are on order for the lower half, also some metal as I've been learning to weld and will need to replace some of the rear sills, I'll post some pics up when I attack the job.

I did repaint the black spoiler to original colour, but the colour match is questionable, in fact with this colour I've noticed its faded quite a bit from the sun exposed roof to the sides of the car, its going to be a challenge to get it looking right.

I've managed to get Dill's old blue bonnet (ta), all I really need now is a passenger door, as the one I've got on is a badly sprayed red one with a generally funny banana shape to it :?

Anyway, a poor pic! The interior all back together, new-ish seats and oem radio..... still got the auto clocks, may put manual ones in or keep them as they are as a nod to its past :lol: