4GUK

Honda Civic Forum - 4th Generation Civic Owners Club
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Flat Tire EF/ED7 build
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:17 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

I was directed to this site by one of your members I checked it out a bit and said "why not". So here it is, In thanks of HONDAB88, I give you, Legacy. My 5th EF chassis!

Ok here's how this one starts. I bought my hatch from a friend of mine who's motivation was seriously lacking. I needed two more seats over my CRX and so I decided to transfer all the good operational stuff from the CRX to the hatch, and so it started... I drove the CRX home on my birthday in Sept 2009 and in the next four days and beyond the rest is history...

This is how the hatch was when I got it.

Was very happy to see my sub box fit under the covers in the hatch. Had to take my spare out to accomodate it in the CRX.

The motor in the CRX. Last pics inside this engine bay.

Emtee... The engine bay in the hatch... The dipstick before me decided to paint the bay in rattle can black. Great... now i have to bust my knuckles to get it back to white... not today!

My battery relocation.

I'll take this, and this, and one of those too...!

Knuckle relocated to the hatch.

Before I dropped this motor into the CRX I got bored waiting on parts and decided to try my hand at detailing the block a little. That's not bad for a little over a year old.

The remainder of the pull...
So I borrowed an engine hoist to lift the car over the the motor. That's the best way... right?? LOL!

My Fiance was so nervous about working the lift...

And it's out! Time to move it to the Hatch!

A friend of mine did stop by to help.
Getting it back in was a little more trying but in the end I prevailed!!!

It's in!!! I almost have a hatch!!!

Got the car on the ground. It was missing the rear bumper when I got it. Hell it was missing both bumpers and someone hacked the hood all up too. Idiots...!! Been busting my butt tryin to get all the matching parts.

Here she sits. Took this after i took it on a test drive @ 3 in the morning...bet my neighbors love me for that one. Especially since there wasn't any exhaust under it. Just the down pipe and exhaust pipe to where the muffler bolted up, but wasn't there! LOL!

In the morning I felt like a little school boy. Looking at these pics really gives me an accomplished feeling.

A month after I build that hatch, the timing belt snaps. Damn... So I had this head lying around and had to utilize it as more or less a band-aid. The cool thing about it is that it houses 1mm o/s valves over the stock D16 head. The bad thing is that it out runs my fuel pump. The ECU just isn't tuned for it.

You ever get tired of lookin at that little ugly plastic cap at the end of your fuel rail? I did! So I made this lil rail cap!

Found out that about half the stuff for the Si hatch dash was busted broken or just plain wore out. Installed the CRX dash into the hatch. I had gotten used to the cubbies and the console of the Rex, plus I have an O.E. armrest and it just didn't fit the hatch trim as i'd have liked.

My custom One-off shift knob that I made.

So far, this has got to my own biggest pat on the back. 100% custom wheels. Granted, I didn't make the wheel casting, but I did have them podercoated white added the Honda logo and pinstripe. After I lost one of the center caps in a small tangle with a box spring on the highway in the CRX I made some of my own. 100% billet aluminum turned on a lathe and then we CNC machined the 'H' into the cap. Dropped a lil paint on em and Viola!

Image[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:22 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Ok now we're starting get to what I know you guys/girls wanna see but don't get much of. You read about all kinds of performance shops and how they transform trash into treasures. I, ladies and gentlemen, just so happen to work for such a shop. It's a small shop called Automotive Machine & Supply Inc.. We're conveniently located near the heart of Downtown Fort Woth Texas. We do just about everything from just your standard rebuilt long/short block to making full out race motors. Like our Part manager says,"How fast can your wallet take you..." LOL I always thought that was funny. So if you have ever pondered how the head work happens and how engines do some of the things they do then stay tuned.

This is what I'll be starting with. Your standard, run of the mill B16A head. I'm gonna try and entertain the idea of building a USDM version of an SiR. So like I keep saying just bare with me.

And no, unfortunately enough there was no Skunk2 stuff in it. Sad I know... That's not to say that there couldn't be at some point but right now the Skunk2 sticker is just that, a sticker...

Here we have the head stripped down. Valves are out, stem steals taken off and we're gettin ready to start the work that is going to tranform this head into a masterpiece.

The intake ports. I'm not going to do much to these due to the simple fact the\at I'm not goin to go crazy on this head. I've pretty much self proclaimed my car as a test bed for a lot of the things we can offer through the shop. This engine in particular is goin to illustrate the advantages of our Radius Raised-seat Valve Job. Performance upgrades will come later in the form of cams, springs, maybe an intake, exhaust work, the likes. You get the picture.

The exhaust ports. There will be some mild changes done here. I plan on cleaning up the casting lines and ceramic coating the ports to help keep power robbing heat where it belongs... in the exhaust.

Here's the stock B-series valves with just the 45^ cleaned up. Notice how the intakes (the bigger ones) have a rolled edge just above the 45 cut.

I found at about 37^ pitch there is just a little ridge where the 45^ meets with the rest of the valve casting. Putting what we call a back-cut on the valve will help maximize airflow. Which in turn as you should know will increase horsepower. We've seen considerable numbers gained in LS1 motors just by performing this operation.

Here's the valves after the back-cut has been applied. I tried the best I could to capture the angle in the light.

Here's the head after performing the ceramic coating of the exhaust ports. We do this to try and help keep the hot power robbing effect of the ehxaust charge out of the head.

The coating, after applied, looks and feels like it should be greasy. The fact is it's just that smooth. This also helps against carbon build up in the exhaust ports.

After that we can now move on to the cutting of the seats. I would like to introduce to you our Newen Contour BB. This machine is built just for the sole purpose of valve seat work in cylinder heads. Basically it boils down to a CNC controlled valve seat cutter. To watch it work is truly amazing.

The Head of the machine the houses the cutter and the pilot needed to make the nice concentric holes.

It has a touch-screen where you have to input the theoretical profile and the proposed cut profile.

This the intake profile I'll be putting in. Sorry about the pic, lil hard to get a good pic with a flat screen. The theoretic material is the pink line, the proposed cut is the blue, and the tool path is the red.

The machine at work...

Here's the product. This seat profile in particular is what we call a Full-radius Raised-seat Valve Job. Where we actually have the 45^ of the seat to where it sticks up above the profile by any where from .005-.015". Now that may not sound like much but when you deal in air flow and cam lift measured in .0001" of an inch, it makes a difference. The problem is that we don't know just how much yet.

If you didn't see the Raised-seat, I'll give you a pointer.

Performing this operation is supposed to aid in creating torque and a cleaner burn. It does like a shredding effect to the air/fuel mixture just before it enters the combustion chamber. Once i get the motor put togther and get it broken in and tuned good we are going to see what kind of gains we will pick up from all of this on the dyno.

Intake side completed.

Exhaust side done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:22 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Here's the head being leveled up for resurfacing.

I only took a clean-up cut. I'm not wanting to get too crazy with this just yet.

Dah-tah! Ooh shiny! LOL!

After it gets resurface then it's time to put this bad boy back together.

Parts, parts, parts...

And, BAM! it's done. I apologize for no building pics. I kinda zone out when I start puttin stuff together.

Some of you are probably wondering why I didn't put bigger, better stuff into this head. As I stated before, this motor and car is going to be used as a test bed. Once I get the B16 down inside the Civic I'll take it to see what kind of numbers it'll run with just the improvement of the valve job. I need to keep it stock as possible at this point so we can more accurately determine if this v/j is going to help or hinder our customer base. Don't worry your little head though. Once that is done then I'll start unleashing the beast. I hope to have a full Skunk2 valve train put into this head. My boss and I are talking over some plans for tuneable billet intake manifolds, hopefully to produce one day. I'm also thinking on having an equal length header made for this bad boy as well. You'll have to hang out and see where this ends up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:23 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Onto the block! What? You thought I was gonna do like every other ricer out ther and only half-ass this? Ha-ha! not likely! So here's this monstrosity! Lemme tell that fat bastard is HEAVY! I got tired of friends bailing on me, so one Tuesday morning I'd had enough. Lifted that big dog off the engine stand at the house, put it in the crate, and put it in the passenger seat!

Dirtay!!!

Uh-oh... I made a clean spot. Now I'm gonna have to clean the whole thing...

First in order is to get it clean. We tear it down and once we get it apart we inspect the parts for wear or failure. In this case all I was going to have to end up doin is give it a lil hone to break the glaze on the cylinders and re-ring the piston. I consider myself very lucky for this. The oil pump was wore to hell, but truly to be expected.

Uh!... I see a crank!

Here's the pistons right before I dug them out. Gotta get em out so we can measure the bores. If there is too much clearance the block has to be cut to accept bigger pistons, often reffered to as 'punching' the block.

Piston before a good thorough cleaning.

Parts, parts, parts...

Here's the block with a fresh cross-hatch!

I love it when parts come out of the wash lookin so clean!

Give you guys more later. Gotta get to work. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:24 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

After I pulled the crank out and got it all nice and washed the next thing is to polish that baby up. So we put it on the lathe and Voila!

OOOH!! Shiny!

Random pic. Pulled in one morning and popped this one. Wanted one with the shop in the background.

Ok, so, here's the block pretty much as it sit right now. Shiny!

Doh! I did it again and built the dang thing without any 'in process' pics. Sorry.

I guess the worst thing is that I even had two friends and my Fiance out in the garage with me while I was stuffin the slugs into the block... Duh! LOL, oh well, i guess.

Right now where i stand is I'm lacking my oil pump and a new pan for the B. When I bought the motor the jerk that sold it to me forgot to get me the Dizzy then disappeared off the face of the planet. How convenient.... :P So I'll be sourcing an OBD-O distributor before too long. I'm still debating going 1/2 rad or full rad on this build. I want to retain my a/c but I'm worried about clearance issues. So I still need to get the a/c bracket from Hasport, and I'll be getting the motor mount as well. I'm going to also source some electric fans. I've heard very strong opinions towards putting push fans onto the car because they'll mount directly to the front of the condensor and the a/c will work better that way. Anyways, we'll see. Gimme a lil bit guys and I'll pull the rip cord on this build again and get the monster started. Until then where's, my Cheez-it's!?!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:24 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Alright, alright. Settle down and strap in! First: my inspiration I know it's on an EG chassis but that is all Forza allots for the hatches.

Now, the work in progress...

Now, before the haters start in. Yes I know it is not perfect nor is it close to complete. It is goin to take me 2 more years to save up the $3000 to get the proper paint and body work done on this poor girl. Until then, at least this appeases me and it'll be all uniform in color. It's like a Monet, viewed best from afar, lol! At least when I do take it to get it painted there won't be any second guessing in what I want LOL! I've still got some prep work to do to get to where i can start painting the bottom half of the car. Some idiot thought it would be a good idea to put half of Home Depot's fastener stock in the rocker panel to hold the crappy body kit on previous to my gettin the car. :shun: I hate stupid people. Speaking of...I can't illustrate to you in words how frustrating it is to have to try and cover crystalizing crappy engine paint on outside body panels. DO NOT DO THIS!!!! Leave engine paint in UV free areas! It works best there. So untill then... Stay tuned you never know what I'll come up with next. Anybody know where i can find one of those ChargeSpeed spoilers?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:25 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Started in on the rocker panels. Looks like the people who turned them into swiss-cheese, actually tried fixing all the holes at one point. Why they didn't finish is beyond me, but I wasn't there either.
So I decided to try this filler that we have at work. LOL! We use this stuff to attach heat-tabs to our heads that we finish and it holds pretty good. So i figured why not...

Every little dob was a hole... :hand:

The larger areas were more like constelations. Kinda like the one butt-head that goes along poking holes in a wall to find a stud... :dead: That's what this crap looked like!!!
The passenger side after I sanded and re-filled a little.

Anyway, hopefully my nightmare is almost over with this. I hope to pull the bumpers off and finish them out soon, plus the lower half of the car. Gotta go talk to my vinyl guy and see what it's going to take to get the striping all the way around. Got a few more small buttons to deal with but nothing that can't be taken care of. :wink:

Lil progress pic for you guys...

Now I know the bumpers are not done yet. I need to finish them this weekend. I'm waiting on my striping to come in as well. I'm almost there! :)

I plan on totally changing up the hood too. I just need to come up with the time to really dig into it. Since I bought it brand new I will be stripping it back down and starting anew on that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:26 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Ooh... Looky what I got! :bang:

I'm just curious wether or not these are going to make or break my engine bay, being as they are yellow. I have no yellow in the rest of my setup... Hmm... Maybe the flair of color will be more eye catching. We'll see. LOL

Bestill my heart...! What do we have here!?! :o :o

I just might be able to finish the hatch up this weekend!!! Yay! Now I'm behind a day in prep and paint on my bumpers because I didn't think I was gettin this stuff till Monday.

Woohoo! Got around to finishing up the paint on the hatch this weekend!

Pulled her into the garage and took the front bumper off...

Taped it up and got to sprayin! The rear got the same treatment.

Uh oh! What is that I see??

While the paint was drying on the front bumper I took the liberty of starting the stripe on the body trim.

The front bumper got dry enough I could work with it again. Put the stripe across it and slapped it on in time enough to make it to the local meet Saturday night! :bang:

So the next day I put my a/c back together (again) and finished out the rear bumper. My wife sent me out to get some dinner and I snatched the camera before I walked out the door... He He He!

Stopped by the local dealer and played around a little...

This was an accident that made this pic the best IMO... :)
The flash went off and lit up all the tape on the car! I love it!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:28 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Ok, so here's where I'm starting at on one of my Single cam heads...

Got a fresh surface on it so I'll have to be extra careful of that.

The valve job and start of the ports. Nothing you haven't seen if you've been keeping up.

Unmollested exhaust port...

Unmollested Intake port...

All the rest of the goodies!

Close-up of the intake and it's ports. I'll be smoothing out the casting inside here for maximum efficiency.

The icing for this proverbial cake! Powdercoating...Mmmm...

Haha!!!! Yeah right!!!!

More to come!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:42 pm 
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Wow....nice write up....can't wait to see more 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:45 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Lol! Thanks! There is plenty more, I assure you! :top:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:58 pm 
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

nice to see you made it over to 4GUK ! welcome along bud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:02 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Thanks for the invite! :top:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:17 pm 
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

no problem! you do some great work with engines , you should do a few step by step how- to's . would be a great reference for your fellow 4g owners when re- building engines. top stuff , hope you stick around 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:47 pm 
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

wow, nice work man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next