Flat Tire EF/ED7 build

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flat Tire EF/ED7 build

Post by Gizmo »

thoughts on the eBay pump?
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Gizmo wrote:thoughts on the eBay pump?
Blew the rear cover off it and it checks out new.
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Here's the build up...
I flipped the collars for max low.

When you slip the collar on, with new kits you get a bunch of different size o-rings. These are for stabilizing the collar around the shock body to avoid rubbing and premature failure of the shock.

This is something a lot of people miss. The bump stop. This helps the shock to prevent bottoming out which is what a lot of people experience when they use aftermarket coilove sleeves. Putting these on makes a big difference!

The top hats come with a set of 'hardened rubber' bushings, they look and feel like ABS plastic to me. So to give my shocks a little more cushion on the bound, I installed the O.E. style rubber bushing on the bottom and the plastic one on the top.

Here they are all put together.

Got out today and turned some wrenches. took the old stuff out and put the new stuff in.

We all know how putting shocks on goes. I did see some stuff from the old ones that I could use on the new ones to helpith the ride quality. The top cup cushion can be taken from the stock shock cups and installed on the spring itself. The old set also had a rubber ring installed incorrectly that, when used properly goes in between the top of the adjuster and the bottom of the coil springs.

Old set.

Original shocks. I don't even wanna imagine how bad this thing rode...!

My lil' man woke up just in time enough to help me complete the install of the rears and clean up! :wink:
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Ok! For starters this is the height it was at after I put the new suspension on.

That's not bad. I want more low!!!
So I got to lookin at things, doin' the El Comparo, and noticed this...

My new spring is on the left. The ones that came off, the right. Plus, one more thing, the old ones are rated springs. No I don't know the rates, nor do I know how to check them. The ones that should go on the fronts, though, are thicker than the ones that go on the rears. Hell, for all I know this could be an old-A$$ H&R set... Dunno.
This is how things turned out...

It is ever so slightly tucking the tops of the tires in these pics. I didn't want to go lower right now because I still have to get it out of the driveway! LOL!

I still have an inch that I can go lower, and maybe someday we'll try it out but for now I'm thinkin this is gonna be good for cruisin around this area. The roads aren't exactly the best and I'd hate to put all this work in and have it pissed away for 'car-vanity'.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Looks well man :top:
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Gizmo wrote:Looks well man :top:
Thank you! It's getting there. The real fun begins when I get my motor back! :wink: :drivegear:
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Didn't touch the car this weekend. Just sat around spent a lot of time with my fam. Went out Saturday and helped a friend of mine get his CRX running again. He's still got some tidying up to do but as soon as the sedan is on the road we'll get some pics together! :)
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Guess who's motor is done and ready to be picked up...!?! This Guy's!!! Woohoo! So happy! Can't wait to get this put back together!! :-O
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Here you go guys!

Stopped by the shop and picked up my motor this morning! Didn't really think I'd get to it today, because I picked up the sick bug the day before. Eventually I felt good enough to get up and out to the garage...

Here it is!

My secret formula1 Muuwwwahahahahahahh!!!! (no you can't find this anymore)

All the 'slugs' are in! Just have to go buy some sealant for the oil pump and main seal hoop then I can continue with assembling the bottom end! (which will be tomorrow)

Got me some paint laid down too just for some brightening...

Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode. Will the block go in the car or will I just get the wheels painted? Who knows...
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Woot woot!! Clutch kit came in today!!!!
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Yes! Finally getting some work done! :D
Clutch kit: Installed

New tensioner pulley

Cleaned timing cover

Then discovered this as I was installing the block... :roll:

Had to take it back out and fix it. Keep in mind, this is all being done by hand. There is no lift and my friends only show up if there's free beer involved... :?

Got her all bolted up and put a few other bits on before sticking the head on.

Getting the head prepped and ready to drop on.

And this is about where I stopped for the night. Had to reset timing like 6 different times. It's like a half tooth off either way I look at it. We'll see if I can work it out with the distributor. Unfortunately it will not be starting this weekend. I still need to get a new radiator and the money built up for my exhaust. We'll see how much farther I get tomorrow!
bryan
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by bryan »

great work dude. your fabrication and machining skills are really a gift! bet theres no better feeling than turning the key on a freshly rebuilt motor then a quick blast :)
89' civic EF-3 Si
96' INTEGRA Xi-G 4 door
03' vauxhall corsa sxi 1.7 DTi
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Thanks man! Actually that first turn of the key is VERY nerve-racking. You just pray every time that everything is tightened down and timed right. :wink:
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Here's the 'button up'. Still have a ways to go. Radiator, exhaust, plugs, few other little things here and there.

Guess I'll have plenty of time to refinish my wheels the way I'd like to in my down time!
FlatTireRacer
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by FlatTireRacer »

I'll just put this here...

One down, three to go! :P