4GUK

Honda Civic Forum - 4th Generation Civic Owners Club
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lee4391s GL Build.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:26 am 
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Nankangs felt great. In the dry braking points seem non existent, I was getting later and later coming into paddock hill bend and Druids. In the wet they like a bit of heat before having a reasonable amount of grip. Probably be better with the softer compound in the wet as mine are the street compound I think (180). For the price id recommend getting a set just to see how they feel but they won't disappoint.

http://4guk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21115 - Build thread

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:55 pm 

Yo!

Been busy recently got quite a few bits sorted, its been my birthday over the weekend and its turned out lucrative with regards to car related bits. Ive been after a fixed bucket for years its just one of those things thats been low on the list, now with the build having progressed quite alot ive had the money to do it. Luckily the seat and seat mount where a gift so that left me with a harness and harness bar to sort.

Firstly the seat, i went for a carbon kevlar corbeau Pro series. Its a really nice seat and the kevlar looks great in the car.

The seat is mounted on adjustable PCI mount, they have no sliders and require 4 bolts to be loosened to adjust it, however it puts the seat very low which is what i need as i'm a tall lad.

To accompany the seat i've got a 6 point Schroth clubman harness, however i am yet to get all the necessary hardware to fit it, it should come this week however. The seat works surprsingly well with the factory belts though which is good for street driving as i don't fancy having to put a full blown harness on everytime i drive the car.

I've also had a welded harness bar fabricated in between the old rear seat mounts, this should get my harness shoulder straps at the right angle rather than bolting them to the floor. A company called Tylah motorsport carried out the work and did a great job, welding is spot on and it was completed in under two days. I dropped it off tuesday evening and collected it thursday evening, it was very reasonably priced too. I'd definitely recommend them if you're local they mainly do cages but will take on any fab work.

Its T45 rather than CDS so its not too heavy, should also help rear chassis flex too being between the two arches.

The OG seat mounts were stitch welded to the chassis and then boxed in at the rear to add more strength...

Hoping to have the harnesses mounted next weekend. Got a trackday coming up on the 18th of march, back at Abingdon with jonny and the lads from brands in january. Also got my PCI front lower arm beaings fitted just awaiting on the poly bushes to arrive for the shock mount. I will fit them after the track day and get it realigned.

Tis all for now,

Lee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:43 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Looking cool man :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:15 am 

Abingdon was great fun.

Good to see you again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:57 pm 

No doubt man, it surprising how well matched the cars are.

I look forward to the next one!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:52 pm 

Haven't updated this for a while!

Been busy moving in to my new home etc However before moving in i got a track day in at Abingdon with Jonny and the gang, was a great day out as normal, got faster this time also happened to be dry all day which was good. However the car kept getting very hot 110 degree+ and blowing the coolant out of the expansion tank, needless to say i started coming in earlier in the afternoon. I have a new radiator to resolve that issue especially as summer is come/has been.

A few pictures some pro some less pro...

On the run;

Got my harness installed for abingdon as can probably be seen in the pictures, great little set up held me in very well at Abingdon, made a big difference to me being able to control the car rather than trying to hang on to the steering wheel for dear life.

Been to a few meets this year and been graced with a few pro pictures which im glad about as i only ever have phone picture in the archives.

Reading Jap Meet - On some borrowed Rota GT3s at the time, turns out i actually own them now minus the r888s, ive put my nankangs on there.

Limitless meet @ Culham

Got quite a few bits and bobs hoarded for the civic so i am getting through sorting and fitting them all, next is the PCI bearings for my lower arms. I refurbed the arms with a lick of paint, pressed the bearings in and used energy suspension shock mount bushes to keep costs down, as spehricals are expensive and unecessary on the shock mount. I originally bought strong flex bushes but wasn't happy with the quality the finish on them was pants and the casting look S*!t, the energy bushes are alot better in my opinion. So if anyone wants some brand new strongflex shock mount bushes for cheap PM me.

Look forward to getting them fitted, the civic wants alignment now anyway as its pulling to one side ever so slightly, all this track work and plenty of recent road miles has probably taken its toll.

Tis all for now, have a few other bits to share but it can wait for next time,

Enjoy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:37 am 
4GUK Donator

Car is looking great Lee its come a long way! Keep up the good work. If you are doing more track days during summer let me know. I'm going to be doing some at Cadwell this summer in the hatch or the CRX. Been too long off track! :drivegear:

1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:01 am 

Cheers ethan. It's getting there man. Me and Jonny are heading to castle Combe on July the 15th, unsure if I'll get another in this summer as I've got so much on, and spending £300 on a track day(factoring in fuel etc) may not be financially viable. See how it goes.

I'd love to come to cadwell but it is quite far away! Mind you giz did say he'd put me up for the night if need be, it looks like a great track. Silverstone is on the list aswell, and returning back to brands hatch is a must at somepoint.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:11 pm 

Yo!

Been busy with this last few weeks! I have castle combe booked for next friday so needed to sort a few issues before going. First on the list was cooling. It started boiling the coolant at abingdon last time so a replcement rad was needed as mine was missing 50% of the fins, all of which where at the bottom where a majority of the cool air is flowing. Also added in a insulated inlet gasket to keep the carbs cool as they did tend to get very hot.

Chose a heavy set gasket, was cheap and the quality is good, added in some longer studs as the old ones were too short.

For the radiator i went for a skunk2 'Bolt in' half rad, bolt in is a loose term. I had to trim the bonnet webbing on mine as it fouled the rad cap. I expected nothing less tbh, needless to say i will steer clear of skunk2 in the future. Its slightly thicker than the stocker :shock:

Another problem is they only do the radiators with B series hose size, which is too large for a D. So i decided i would try AN16 rad fittings, its been a bit of a pain in the A$$ but its worked out and functions well.

Firstly made a little jig to cut the coolant neck straight.

Had tylah motorsport weld bungs onto the rad and engine side.

Then spent a few evenings fucking about with house routings etc. I had to loop at as the fittings are so large, you cant fit a reasonable bit of hose in between 2 x 45s or whatever. Its functional though so im happy.

Topped it all off with an 11" spal slimline fan to keep it discreet, i do want to wire a manual over ride for the fan so i can flick it on in traffic or while waiting inline at trackdays etc. I want to keep the normal operation of the fan but wanna be able to flick it on as an when.

Happy with the outcome overall seems to run alot cooler on the road specially over 50mph as you'd expect.

Next up was to try and get it driving a little better at part throttle and low down. I bunged in some smaller chokes going from 35>34mm. Had to change a few jets around to suit but it has got better. Still needs a little work but better for now.

Also been wanting to do a little chassis work on the rear end as its been feeling a little bit loose recently. I started with changing the rear springs from 5kg/mm to 6kg/mm, as it doesnt have a rear ARB i wanted to try and get it a little stiffer and provoke a bit more heat into the rear tyres. Also a stiffer rear tends to help the car rotate and turn in.

Gave them a little clean along with the LCAs after swapping the springs over.

Initially on road it feels a little too much on the rear end, so i will take it to combe and take the old springs and see how it feels on track.

Got a bit more to come but will update later in the week.

Enjoy,

Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:05 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

This is an awesome build thread have been reading through it the last couple of hours! :shock: Giving me a bit of much needed inspiration to get cracking on my own again! haha Just wondering how you adjusted the Caster on yours ? :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:51 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Great build!! Love it!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:13 pm 

Cheers gents.

Caster is gained by using white line radius rods, they are pretty much stock rods with some extra thread on to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:38 am 

Been a bit lazy with the updates recently a mix of the forums being a little dead nowadays and me lacking enthusiasm to keep it going. However...

After driving the car around with the stiffer rear springs for a while i took them off as i felt they provoked understeer and the car felt like it just wanted push the front end through corners so i swapped them back. I also wanted to change my camber arms both front and rear. The fronts have always fouled on the chassis as clearance on EFs inside the shock towers isn't great, even more so when lowered a reasonable amount, also the hardrace arms aren't engineered to help with it tbh. The rears have been cheap chinabay items and i've always worried about them failing plus the bushes were showing early signs of wear.

For the fronts i went for PCIs extra clearance arms, they are a great piece of kit that give ALOT of clearance inside the shock towers and they also use a spherical bearing instead of a ball joint, so maintenance will be a little easier not having to split a ball joint. As you can see in the picture i also have the RTA spehricals too but ill get on to them after.

The tear drop shape were they mount to the bushes gives alot of extra clearance in comparison to my hardrace items that used to foul there all the time as you can probably see in the picture. They also can give a little extra castor by packing a washer either side of the bush.

For the rear camber adjusters i went for SPC items, i really wanted spherical items but couldn't find any that were up to par, mostly china made shite. I went with SPC as they're tried and tested and always have good reviews. Only bad thing i have to say about them is they're HEAVY! Other than that they look pretty good.

I also got some of PCIs RTA bushes, ive always been curious about them so though feck it i got them. They did not disappoint. Easy to fit, just knock the old ones out and bolt the new ones in. The housings are also offset which is said to improve toe curve and roll centre alignment.

After fitting all the suspension bits i had it aligned the day before i went to castle combe and WOW, it feels amazing on track. I had it aligned with 2 degrees camber all round, an unknown amount of caster but its alot, 1mm toe out on the front and 2mm toe in on the rear, the toe recommendations were made by GFR the race company that i tasked to align the car and they were welcomed!

Car really feels great on track, turn in is instant, mid corner response is amazing and the rear end feels so stable! Its so easy to drive on the limit and has been really forgiving. I went to combe with Jonny and he said that through a majority of the corners he just couldn't keep up and through some of the longer corners like quarry and tower i'd pull up to a car length on him by the exit. Really shows how much difference its made as the cars were quite even on the other trackdays we've been on, if anything jonny is usually a little quicker as he is more experienced/a better driver.

Anyway i'll stop with the essay and give you some pictures, i have some shitty footage of about 5 laps like normal. I always forget to sort the GoPro when i'm at the track as im too busy checking things or driving.

The car really doesn't feel like it leans this much!

ME and jonny playing cat and mouse

Was a great day and really enjoyed combe! So much so i booked another day at the end of August. However i was still having cooling problems with the expansion bottle filling up. I have since fitted a brand new OEM thermostat and a 1.3bar rad cap both of which solved nothing at the day i did in august. Next is to remove the head and check the inevitably blown headgasket as there is not much else it can be. I will whap the head off quick give it a 1mm skim and chuck it back on with ARP studs for now as i have an engine build planned. That will hopefully solve my cooling problem and also give me a little more power and torque which is always welcomed :)

Only got pictures from the paddock from combe in august

The wheels stacked up next to the car are my current track wheels, some pretty haggered enkeis with some equally tired A048s 195/50s. They do well on track and dont foul on anything unlike the NS2s which foul on the front bumper where i run so much caster. The NS2s are 195/55s so a little taller, but they dont rub much on the road which is fortunate.

I've also been planning an engine build, no real idea when it'll get done but im slowly collecting parts now be nice to build it over the winter/spring and get it in ready for later spring next year.

Got these 11:1 CP pistons, they are 75.5mm so will require an overbore which isn't a problem as it'll bump the displacement up a little and deshroud the valves slightly too on the cylinder sides as i may go oversize on the valves aswell.

The plan is to build the bottom end with the pistons, using a ported oil pump, lightened and balanced rods, and ARP rod bolts. The head i will decide on at the time but i really want 1mm oversize on both intake and exhaust, a nice lopey cam and skim the head to get the compression into the 12s, should be around 12.3:1. I want a nice stout motor that has good power from 4K-8K RPM.

I have a few other bits planned too, the gearbox is due a rebuild as everytime i've built it with shorter cogs and final drives ive never replaced anything but the input shaft bearing and seal. I've always inspected and checked the clearances on everything but i think track time is starting to take its toll, so i'll give it a full rebuild with carbon syncros and an Mfactory plated diff to really pull it round the corners as even though its relatively low powered there are definately times on track where i though it could do with a diff.

Tis all for now, Sorry for the huge update for those that read the text.

Lee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:48 am 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Do you mind telling me what offset these wheels are? Mods on the suspension are amazing, i bet it feels really great on the track :top:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:42 pm 

Wheels are 15x7 et40, the reason they looks so meaty is cuz they have 205/50 r888s on.

However the fronts are spaced 20mm so the offset is essentially et20. But the wings are spaced out 10mm aswell.

You will get similar look if you ran the same wheel but with 195/55/15s like I do now in road.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next