4GUK

Honda Civic Forum - 4th Generation Civic Owners Club
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
 Post subject: Re: Lee4391s GL Build.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:43 am 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Awesome. I was a bit worried about my 195/50/15 15x7 et25 setup, but i think it'll be allright :) Thanks for the info man :top:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:51 am 
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Yo!

Where i have to do the head gasket, i plan to do a few bits to add power seeing as the head is off. However i wanted to get it dyno'd in its current state to get a reference figure. Also everyone asks and i've never known which is annoying, so i took it to eurospec to put it on the rollers as their dyno isn't known for handing out ballooned out figures to satisfy customers. I wanted a figure thats close to the realms of reality not just a bunch of fudged figures.

All strapped up

WHP Forget about the AFR plot, its quite far off the actual AFRs on my wideband. Probably cuz eurospecs sensor is so close to the exhaust tip so outside air may intefere with the reading.

BHP + Torque (ft/LBS)

Really pleased with the graphs they're nice and smooth, power is progressive and rises nicely all the way to the 'limiter'. Figures are pretty good too, considering the engine is stock bar the cam i'm quite keen to see what some extra compression and flow will do for the power/torque. I think the long intake length has helped alot with the powerband as its pretty broad.

I've got the ball rolling stripping down a spare head, ready to be sent to the machine shop which i still have to organise. I'm looking to do a little port work aswell, but i do wanna get i sorted ASAP to keep the car off the road for as little time as possible.

Also gearbox rebuild bits and Diff arrived

Gunna change the clutch and flywheel while the box is out as the clutch and flywheel have probably run there course. Been in the car for about 5 years and seen a fair few miles, this is for peace of mind more than anything. I opted for a 1way diff as i just want the locking action on acceleration, the car feels good off load/throttle and i don't want a 1.5 or 2 way diff to interfere with that,

Gunna be busy over the next couple of months. Hopefully all be back together for cheap days at Brands hatch in the winter.

Enjoy Lee

http://4guk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21115 - Build thread

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:09 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Looking Good! Look forward to updates. How's Sam Oughton's going?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:59 pm 

LittleJack wrote:
Looking Good! Look forward to updates. How's Sam Oughton's going?

Taa

It isn't i haven't seen it for months and i don't think he has worked on it for months. He's pretty busy alot of the time so its taken the back burner, i've said to him a few times he may aswell just sell it but he's keen on sorting it and getting it 'finished' so it will be about at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:30 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Ok. Hopefully he keeps it he seemed keen to finish it when was over his a few months back.. Would be cool to see more on the road

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:14 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

it will be back dont you worry!!!!!!lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:09 pm 

YO!

As expected been very busy over the last 4 weeks! Mainly with the gearbox rebuild had a few minor set backs but figured it all out in the end.

Made light work of removing the box in October sometime!

I opted to have the casings blasted and all the nuts and bolts nickel plated so it looks brand new, here is how the casing looked after i emptied it of its gears etc.

I put all the gears and needle bearings in the parts washer at work and bagged everything up to keep it clean and stop any corrosion. Also checked the new carbon syncro clearances before i bagged up the gears.

I had to do some adjustments to the LSD before fitting, as the Mfactory plated units have 3 types of adjustment. From factory they are sent with a 100% lock setting which Mfactory states is for straight line cars more than a track car. So i configured the plates so they have a 66% lock setting, i left the preload as it comes and i chose the less steep ramp angle so the onset of lock is a little more progressive.

Re assembled the diff and bolted my 4.4 FD ring gear to it ready to press the new bearings on to it.

After assembling the diff i fitted a few of the bearings and seals to the clutch housing, which wasnt ideal as the diff fouled the casing! M factory doesnt mention this and i had seen nothing on any other forum. So i had to grind the casing back for clearance which i wasnt best pleased about having to fill the gearbox casing full of swarf! Picture below shows where it fouls.

Such is life ground the casing back, cleaned it all out again and cracked on.

Fast forward a week and shes back together with the clearances checked, same gear set and final drive, but with new carbon lined syncros, new forged syncrotec syncro sliders, new bearings and seals throughout and of course the new diff!

Quick picture after sealing the box with hondabond, left it like this for 48hours to let it set properly.

And lastly the box finished ready to be fitted, so pleased with how it looks! A local company called AC restorations blasted the casings and sorted the plating of all the external bolts and brackets. Stupidly i forgot to give them all the mounting bolts etc but it can be done another time if im that keen. But it looks brand new which is what i was going for.

Shall continue the rest tomorrow...

Lee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:00 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

cant even do it all in one up load!!!!??????!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:42 pm 

Got the gearbox fitted Saturday with the help of my mate sam like normal(thanks again man) Bolted it up with a brand new drivetrain. I went for a RPC 4KG flywheel and a stage 3 action clutch to accompany it. I did this more for piece of mind than necessity, as my old set up had seen severaly years on the car and quite a few 1000 miles.

Also my driveshafts have always been a bit haggered on the car, the track days really haven't done them any favours either as they had loads of play in them when i took them off, mainly on the inner CVs. With the LSD inevitably putting more strain on the shafts i thought it'd be best to replace them. But me being me i went overboard and got some insane driveshafts 500bhp shafts, now the car is never gunna produce anywhere near 500bhp but i thought it'd be best to sort some uprated shafts with the amount of track days i plan to do next year.

After getting everything bolted up and the gearbox filled with 10w30 mineral oil for run in i went out for a test drive, which in turn became the run in period. First impressions is the diff is pretty anti social, at low speeds it clunks a fair bit and shakes the car around a little bit but once up to speed its okay. However you do have to hold on when booting it as it really does pull you in round corners, i've only done about 20miles with it atm so still need to get used to the diff. The box itself shifts like butter, its silky smooth and feels positive i'm really pleased with the outcome. Only 'negative' is the action clutch has very light pedal in comparison to my old competition clutch which albeit initially was ridiculous i came to actually quite like it, as the biting point was very prominent. The action clutch however is quite grabby at biting point but i think the pedal feel is a little wooly, time will tell. I need to put some more miles on it to break it in.

The run in for the Mfactory diff albeit comical is tiring and makes you dizzy, You have to do 20 mins of figure of 8s ate different throttle positions and then 10 mins of full lock left and another 10mins full lock right. With the quick rack, alignment and sticky rubber steering is tough so my arms were pretty achey afterwards! There is a short video on my instagram 'Ontherun91' for those who are curious.

On the sunday i swapped the gear oil out for Torco RTF, some people use friction modifier to stop the diff clunking so much but i have run without for now to see how it performs as it does change the lock up of the diff. I've used RTF as its one of the best fluids for a performance honda box, many of the pro gearbox builders swear by it which is good enough for me.

Overall really happy with how the gearbox has turned out, all i'll do now id get some road miles on it and change the fluid again before i go on my first track outing as a surprising amount of brass came out with the mineral oil.

While the gearbox was out and the car was in the air i replaced the front springs on my coilovers for 8kg/mm these are to match the stiffer springs for the rears, hoping it'll keep the car a little more upright on track and promote a little more heat into the tyres. Used WD40 and a rag to give them a little clean, surprising what so little can do.

Naturally i have my fingers in all the pies so have been hoarding a few other bits; bought an old rover dunlop cup car manifold 4-1 to give a try on the D16 the previous owner said it yielded 3-5bhp over and 'bags of torque' on his builds so we shall see. It is a little beaten and is mild steel. So i will get it blasted then get back down to solid fab to have it welded up to fit the car 100%, then a lick of paint and some heat wrap. Got it for a bit of a bargain and it looks like an interesting design so worth a shot.

Also bought some Rocket Motorsport valve springs ready for a little head work over the winter, i will probably get a stage 4 Rocket cam to accompany them but i'm yet to decide. But more on that next time.

Tis all for now,

Lee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:30 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

DUDE!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:08 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Looking good !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:13 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

So fresh! Looks like it just rolled out of Suzuka production plant :top:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48